Search

Loading...

3/8/10

The Essence of Nostalgia



Over the weekend,
I test drove the recently released perfume,
Balenciaga Paris.
Here are my thoughts on the scent.

Balenciaga's fragrance came on soft and clean,
with flowery notes, and wore down to a powdery musky hint of a scent.
I like it a lot.




Last week's  New York Time's Style section, featured an article titled,
"The Story of Eau", by Daphne Merkin.
This article really spoke to me!
Ms. Merkin writes,
"It has recently occurred to me that the search
for the right perfume may be nothing less than the search for the essence of nostalgia,
the after-scent of everything you once had
and can now only long for."

The Balenciaga fragrance was so appealing to me because it seemed so comfortably familiar.  Its light, clean smell had a classic feel to it, reminiscent of the lovely and romantic Eau de Joy, that my mother always wore when I was young.


But, since I'm not great at describing what something smells like, it might be helpful to see what my top three favorite perfumes are.  The same way Amazon uses an algorithm for filtering recommendations based on your past purchases, for "like-minded" consumers.

Here are my top three perfume picks.

1.
Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien


 
It's a fresh combination of lemon, 
grapefruit and cypress notes.
It reminds me of sunny vacations and summer time.
Happiness in a bottle.
~*~

2.
Le Labo's Fleur D'Oranger 27

Another citrus scent, 
although very different from the first. 
Le Labo describes this fragrance as a musky, 
sunny scent with a "delicious ambiguity that gives 
women and men, 
the absolute power of sensuality."
I have to agree, I wear it all the time.
~*~
3.
Miller et Bertaux's Eau de Parfum Trouve #1



A sophisticated fragrance with musk, 
ylang-ylang and cedar. 
This was gifted to me by one of my closest friends, 
there is a long endearing back story involved here. 

And, I wore it on my wedding day!

It doesn't get any more nostalgic or better than that!

~*~


*images via: google images;vintageadbrowser

16 comments:

  1. I think I have to find that article because I think that quote is dead-on. I think you'd like Prada Tendre if you haven't tried it. It's my go to and it's all ylang-ylang, patchoulli and citrus-y. I think I want to try the Balenciaga based on your review. Think I can talk them into a sample?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific suggestions.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these suggestions, have been eager to try the Balenciaga - will definitely go find it.
    Happy Monday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! The search for nostalgia, so true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the citrus scents for warm summer weather. Lately my perfume is giving me fits of sneezing! Time to lighten up perhaps. Great suggestions here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the blog comment!

    OH MY WORD, I'm a sucker for good perfume! That third one sounds like it would be right up my ally. I tend to wear musky, spicey scents. Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I haven't really used perfume since my son was born a year and a half ago and miss it so much. I used to loooove Panthere, from Cartier. ah... memories...

    Love the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how fabulous, I think I found a new perfume! Thanks for the in depth review, love that. Thanks for stopping by CreateGirl it's nice to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I love to smell perfume on other people but don't wear it myself. I have such fond memories of JOY. It was my Step-Mom's favorite perfume and I used to love how it smelled on her.
    For some reason, I can't tolerate smelling a scent 24/7, I just like whiffs of it here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i so gotta try that balenciaga paris! thanks for the recommendation!

    xoxo,
    andyquirks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Something usually has to come across my radar screen several times before I really pay attention. I saw the Balenciaga fragrance beautifully showcased in a Paris window the other day and it caught my eye. Now I see it here and because of your other top picks, I think it is calling my name. I really must take it for a test drive. ~jermaine~

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful choice!! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Salut Zhush! Lovely post on the fragrances...I see we are on the same wavelength! I liked the campaign for the new Balenciega with Charlotte Gainsbourg in it but I hadn't gotten a chance to smell it yet :-D Glad you are happy with your new choice!

    xoxo Bardot in Blue

    ReplyDelete
  14. did you buy the balenciaga?! i think i'll call and get a sample too. i love a scent that ends powdery musky like you described it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I only just got a sample of the perfume. Haven't made the commitment to purchase it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. how fun. I always like reading about Scents. It sounds like I would like each and every one of those. My fave scent is Acqua di Parma Colonia. I even wear the deodorant and sprinkle the talc on my sheets. Obsessed. But I am going to stop by and smell the Balenciaga....I love anything powdery and musk

    ReplyDelete

Got something to share? Would love to hear it. I read every single comment:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
2009-2014 Sue De Chiara. All rights reserved