Search

Loading...

8/30/11

Obsession Du Jour: Rene Gruau


This past weekend was spent holed up at home with a stack of fall fashion magazines.  While I adore the glossies, there are times when all the "over photo shopped" size zero young glamazons can get a bit tiresome.  Enter the world of fashion illustration, one that I find myself wishing would come back into vogue, literally.  One of my all time favorites in this field was RenĂ© Gruau, an Italian born, famous fashion illustrator in the 40's and 50's.  His work is a fabulous reminder of what this genre meant before the camera took over. 
Images via:  ReneGruau.com

13 comments:

  1. I am inspired ~ LOVE them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love fashion drawings so much. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful and - in a weird way - they look more "natural" than a lot of today's fashion photos... Love from London xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. These ladies are knockouts! Love the prints. Classic and gorgeous. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! i love that first painting! these sort remind me of touluse latrec. xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely divine...there's not much I love more than brilliant fashion illustration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Secret desire: I have always wanted to have my portrait painted like that. There is so much fun seeing how someone would paint you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE these images! Perfect.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so agree - spent much of the day Sunday with the "September issue" and yearning for the days of the 80's curvy supermodels... Love these fashionable illustrations of a bygone era.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so haunting. Have always liked them. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always swoon at fashion illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gruau has always been one of my all time favourite illustrators, especially the work he did for Dior Perfumes. There was an exhibition in London recently on his collaboration with Dior.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, love it. I've looked at far too many magazines this fall - nothing has looked as amazing as this.

    (just found your lovely blog!)

    ReplyDelete

Got something to share? Would love to hear it. I read every single comment:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
2009-2014 Sue De Chiara. All rights reserved