Book Review: The English Country House

When I first received a copy of The English Country House, to review here, I didn't know what to make of it. These massive ancient British estates all seemed so serious and stiff.  However, it didn't take long for my my inner Anglophile, (the one that can not wait for Downton Abbey to return next season) to warm up to the idea of learning more about the history and lineage of these grand houses.  Written by James Peill, with a forward by Julian Fellowes (the creator of Dowton Abbey) and beautifully photographed by James Fennell, The English Country House, focuses on ten English country manors, the interiors, gardens, art and collections as well as the families that have held these lands, some for several centuries. I think this book would be a great gift for design enthusiasts and history buffs alike.

 *I received a free copy of The English Country House from the publisher, but this did not influence my opinions here, which are and always will be my own.


  1. The houses are beautiful but oh sooo cold!! High ceilings are not too eco friendly :)

  2. This style always takes me back a bit. It reminds me of movie sets. Somehow, I can picture myself sitting in the salon waiting for tea. It's warm and cozy.

  3. Sue I am always astonished by the architectural details of these homes and the history of the properties.
    The Arts by Karena

  4. Do you think they'd mind if I just moved into the bathroom?

  5. Just read about this on someone's Christmas list. Sounds lovely.


Got something to share? Would love to hear it. I read every single comment:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
2009-2014 Sue De Chiara. All rights reserved