Minor Obsessions: Cooking Skills

I'm pretty sure it was Goop that led me over to Jessica Seinfeld's cooking site, Do It Delicious, which then led me to what I'm hoping will be a life saver for me this Holiday season and beyond, Jessica's latest cook book, The Can't Cook Book: Recipes for the Absolutely Terrified! While the title might be a tad dramatic, I kind of relate to it.  The fact is, I don't like to cook, I'm not particularly good at cooking and I actually feel a bit bad about this.  I'm also terrible at meal planning and grocery shopping... Jessica's book has some great tips as to how to get a handle on this (elusive to me) skill set.

I'm determined to turn things around over here, so I'll be trying out some very basic recipes (I'll keep you posted on those). I'm going to invest in a few key pieces, like a wooden cutting board and a French Oven, as one pot dishes seem the most practical and seasonal. I've polled some of my kitchen whiz friends and observed others first hand, and now I plan on upgrading a few tired and rusted baking sheets (and silpats) tongs, some real mixing bowls and a proper roasting pan too (no more disposable aluminum tins).  Last year I upgraded to some fancy knives and All-Clad pots and it did seem to improve things.  Am I missing any other key things?  Wish me luck!


  1. I think you will be a cook in no time!

  2. book. I have to check it out...


Got something to share? Would love to hear it. I read every single comment:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
2009-2014 Sue De Chiara. All rights reserved