Traditional At Heart

It's been almost exactly thirteen years to the day that we moved in to our home here in the burbs...a fact that I can hardly believe.  We've done a lot of work on this house (you can read about this here) but our family room, the very first room that we decorated when we moved in, is now in need of a serious overhaul.  Thirteen years ago, I was really into everything Pierre Deux.  Do you remember this company, they had a store on Madison Avenue in NYC?  It was very popular at the time and I recall loving the whole French Provencial thing, yellows, blues, paisley, toile and all.  Well, as far as I know, this store no longer exists and while I still love Provence, our family room is tired, to say the least.

My first thought was to spruce up the room by adding some modern touches throughout, but after going over my endless pin boards and seeing where my taste truly lies, (which Pinterest is really great for!) I think I need to reign those mid-century mod ideas in a bit.  It's clear to me, especially after re-visiting Schulyer Samperton's beautiful and inspiring portfolio (a few of my faves are up here today) that I'm really more traditional than I thought.  A mix of styles with an emphasis on traditional is really my true comfort zone, what's yours? I'd love to hear...


  1. Your home is so beautiful I can't imagine it needs a spruce yet? But i must say I can't commit to any look for too long as one can tire of any motif so I love a mix of everything that way I can just shift my gaze if I want something new!

  2. I am the same way. Traditional is where my heart is, but I love to add a bit of fun here and there.

  3. These are beautiful photos and your home is very beautiful already, but I understand the need for change. I have a few comfort zones and my house needs to reflect all of them so I don't get bored but for the main rooms, I like a sort-of mix of Hamptoms/Farmhouse meets the city.

  4. Sue that pedestal table with the fresh palette of color surrounding it is gorgeous!!

    Feature: "House Proud"

  5. These images are lovely!! Of course I know pierre deux!! I think our tastes change over time...and certain core basics stay the same.....we learn to like knew things.....That is where the fun is...constant evolution. Can't wait to see what you do!

  6. Love the arrangement :) I wish my living room is as stylish! I just got a new apartment and I'm so excited about decorating! Please do an inspiration board for 1000 thread count fitted sheet or bedroom style inspiration!


Got something to share? Would love to hear it. I read every single comment:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
2009-2014 Sue De Chiara. All rights reserved