image and flameless birch candles: here
As you know, despite moving in to our new home three short weeks ago...we're hosting Thanksgiving this year (for 23 people)! As crazy as this might sound, I know that our guests will not expect things to be perfect, and this is allowing me to be a bit more relaxed...
That being said, there's a certain level of expectation for everyone's favorite holiday that I plan on at least trying to uphold. A lot of this will depend on organization and preparation. Anyone that's ever hosted Thanksgiving knows "day before prep" is crucial. Setting the table and cleaning the house is a no brainer, here's my list of a few other tips...I'd love to hear some of yours!
1. Stock up on those handy disposable containers so you can pack up all those fabulous leftovers.
2. Make sure you have basic items like milk, pretty guest towels, club soda, coffee, tea, etc.
3. Don't forget the bar and most importantly start making ice now...or plan on buying some.
4. Lay out any serving pieces, champagne/wine glasses and trays the night before. It's always a good idea to inspect the things you don't use that often, they might need a bit spiffing and or washing before the big day.
5. Which leads to making sure you have enough dish washing liquid and dish washer detergent, not to mention pretty guest hand soaps available. Having plenty of trash bags on hand is also key!
6. Typically I would recommend that you get your powder room guest ready... right now, we're literally waiting on plumbers with the hopes of having a functioning first floor powder room for Thursday! Crossing fingers and toes...
7. And, speaking of hoping and praying...this winter weather alert is not making me happy! Stocking up on sidewalk salt over here in the north east is probably a good idea!
Those are my tips, clearly I'm no Martha Stewart:) Hopefully all will go well...I'll be taking the day off from the blog tomorrow, but I'll be back with a Best of Black Friday Cyber Monday 2014 post! (**spoiler alert: zhush.com is having a big Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale starting NOW through Monday, use code BFRIDAY25 for 25% off everything! **)
Wish me luck and Happy Thanksgiving!!!